1) Wednesday March 6th @ 8pm Open WOD #1 is announced (I’m thinking its the 7min amrap of burpees)
2) Saturday March 9th CF Rage hosts Open WOD #1 – Athletes may arrive @ 8am to start warming up. There will be a standards meeting @ 8:45am, but please make sure to watch the movements standards beforehand on http://games.crossfit.com. Each athlete will have their own judge, who will make sure each athlete follows movement standards. The first heat will start at 9am sharp, so if you plan on being in the first heat, please arrive early to warm-up. You may ask a coach for advice on what to do for a warm-up. Whatever the WOD is will determine the number of heats. If you want to perform your best, please consider using friday as a rest day. Let’s Rage!
-There’s been some chatter at the box lately about this Crossfit Open thing… As much as we all talk about it, I think there are still some people wondering “What’s the deal with the open!?”Those of us who have participated are SUPER, almost excessively, ridiculously excited about it. I feel like some newer members and those who have not yet participated maybe are afraid to knock it out loud for fear of getting an earful of Crossfit Crazy thrown at the them… But I have heard some honest conversation about why so and so doesn’t want to register, and it’s $20 and yadda, yadda, yadda… blah, blah, blah. The truth is that EVERYONE should register for the open.So I am going to tell you why the Open is important to me in the hopes that maybe you will relate and see its value and decide for yourself to get in the game.Things to keep in mind:
1) You WILL be doing the Open WODs. Thursday night is “The NIGHT” but so is Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (At Rage it will be Saturday am)) As I recall, whether you officially ”sign up for the Open” or not, you WILL do the WOD. So might as well sign up:)
2) Participating in the Open is NOT about competing in the “Games.” What I mean is that “I am not trying to go the Games” is NOT a valid reason to not sign up for the Open. Last year, over 70,000 people participated in the Open and 490 people competed at the Crossfit Games as individuals, teams, and masters. That means 0.7% of Crossfit Open Athletes GO to the games and MAYBE 3%-5% actually have a chance of making it that far! The Open is for the WHOLE Crossfit community and that includes you.
In my opinion, the Open is five beautiful weeks of opportunity… It’s the opportunity to get outside of your comfort zone and get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s an opportunity to learn, to grow as an athlete and as a person. And isn’t that why you Crossfit?! To become a better athlete and/or person!? The Open is an opportunity to participate in something BIG… and big events create big moments…
3) Sign-up for a class feature – I’m not requiring that you sign-up for a class quite yet, but if you want to play around with the feature go ahead. Click on the drop down arrow “Schedule a WOD”- Select date/time you would like to sign up (you may repeat days for the week, month, etc)-press “Next”-press “Book Now”-you may login with Facebook or Google or select “click here for first-time user”. Enter your first, last name, email and password, then “Register and Book”. You’re all set!
4) Philly Cow Share – If anyone is interested in sharing an 1/8 of a cow please let me know. We are not going to do the buying club, like I had on the blog a week ago since you have to buy a lot of product to receive a discount. Here is the link to the cow share: http://www.phillycowshare.com/eighth-cowshare.
5) May 18th – CF Rage 1 year anniversary/open house – More details to come, so save the date!
Conditioning 20 Min AMRAP
6 Box Jumps 33/27″
12 Chest/Bar Pull-ups
18 Wall Balls 20/14lb
*Row 1k at the 10 Min Mark
WOD Notes: For the Rack Jerk you may do a push jerk or split jerk from the front rack only. Try to set a new PR or work on technique. At the 10 min mark, stop where you are in the AMRAP and row 1k. Pick up where you left off in the AMRAP, when finished the 1k row.
Shoulder Press 5×3 (Work up to a heavy 3RM)
Conditioning 12 Min AMRAP
6 Handstand Push-ups 6″/2″ Deficit
8 Hang Power Cleans 155/115lb
10 Front Rack BB Lunges 155/115lb
3x ME L-Sit Hold, Plank, GHD Hold
WOD Notes: Scaling for the HSPU are stacking multiple abmats to reduce the range of motion, elevating feet on a box maintaining pike position, or HR Push-ups. 55-60% of your 1RM HPC should be used. The same weight should be used for the HPC and Lunges.
Back Squat 5×3 (Work up to a 3RM. Make sure at least 2 sets are maximal)
Conditioning “Jackie” – (Compare to 10/11/2012)
50 Thrusters 45lb
—Rest 5 minutes
30 GI Janes
30 Calories/.5 mile on Air Dyne
Reminder: The Reebok CrossFit Games Open starts March 6th, so don’t forget to sign up. CF Rage will be hosting the Open WOD every saturday morning for the entire 5 weeks of the Open. Each athlete (whether you signed up or not) will be assigned to a judge, who will make sure you are meeting the standard requirements for each movement. It’s going to be fun and an exciting team building event.
Brent practicing Bar Muscle-ups. Good job big booyyyy!